Thursday, July 12, 2012

Creamy Coleslaw with Cranberries and Toasted Slivered Almonds


There are thousands of coleslaw recipes out there I know, and everyone has their favourite, but some people just can't make up their minds....like me for instance. Just recently I have had a hankering for the tangy, slightly sweet, cabbage concoction. I admit, I can be lazy about summer side dishes, opting for buying store bought with the excuse that 'it's too much trouble to make my own....no-one will know the difference !' HA ! SO WRONG !! I get caught every time....I focus on the main dish, expecting it to shine on it's own and don't give my sides the credit they deserve to stand alone. 
So there you have it.....Confessions of a sometimes Lazy Chef !!!!


So Operation Coleslaw was born !
I enlisted the help of my daughter, Elizabeth, as my Sous Chef, and Photographer [still the phone camera !]. We are soooo excited because she just got accepted to the 3 year Culinary Program at the new Technology Center attached to her High School. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree after all.....we are so proud of her !


Currently this is her favourite pic....my Elizabeth !



And so to the recipe.......

Ingredients

Coleslaw :

1/2 head White Cabbage
2 medium Carrots
1/2 large Red Onion
2 Spring Onions
Dried Cranberries to sprinkle on top
Toasted Slivered Almonds to Garnish

Dressing :

1 1/2 tbsp white sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp celery salt
6 tbsp Good Quality Mayonnaise [or home-made]
2 tbsp Chilled Buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
2 tbsp Dill Pickle Juice [or lemon juice] but the pickle juice gives a subtle tang
2 tsp Chopped Fresh Parsley
Couple of good grinds of Black Pepper

Additions according to your own taste :

I like to add about one teaspoon of grated horseradish for a little heat !
If you like some more sweetness, I have added Maple Syrup, just a drizzle.
Celery seeds have also been an addition I like at the last minute !

Instructions :

Slice cabbage and red onion thinly. Grate carrot and roughly chop spring onions.


Measure into a bowl all Dressing ingredients, whisk to combine. Test taste at this point for seasoning. If you are using horseradish or Maple Syrup, this is where you can slowly add them according to your taste.


Add Dressing to Coleslaw ingredients in a large bowl. At this point I like to refrigerate, covered, for several hours, or overnight, tossing gently a few times to incorporate all the creamy yumminess of the dressing !


Now the fun part....When ready to serve, sprinkle dried cranberries and toasted slivered almonds over your slaw in a presentation bowl. If using Celery Seeds, gently sprinkle sparingly at this point.

VOILA !! PRETTY, FRESH AND COLOURFUL !


I do hope you enjoy my homemade spin on a Summer time Classic !
Now back to baking...a Scottish Dessert and one of my Mum's sponge recipes for the week-end!


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment